What is an Epoxy Coating?
Epoxy flooring is one of the toughest and most durable finishes you can have on your floor. The term “epoxy” refers to the materials used and the application process. Not only does it provide good aesthetics to your floors, it can protect it by resisting considerable wear and tear which saves you thousands of dollars on repairs and replacements.
Epoxy floors are used by many industrial sites, warehouses, commercial kitchens and residential garages as they:
- Require little to no maintenance
- Are resistant to oil or water stains, UV fading, chipping, peeling, chemicals and heavy weight
- Maintain clean and safe conditions for workers
- Are anti-slip – great choice for swimming pool decks and kitchens
It is important to note that there is a difference between an epoxy coating and epoxy paint. Epoxy floors commonly deal with epoxy coating as they are highly tolerant of weight and regular usage. For this reason, they are a common choice for commercial, industrial and manufacturing industries.
Epoxy coating is made up of a resin component that is mixed with a polyamine hardener which is then applied under specific temperature and time conditions after it has sufficiently dried. Epoxy floor coatings are commonly used in locations subjected to light vehicular traffic and/ or heavy foot traffic (e.g. schools and hospitals) to extend the life of concrete floors.
An epoxy coating:
- Provides an attractive surface to use inside offices, residential homes and showrooms
- Is easy to apply with quick drying times
- Can be applied over concrete floors to provide a durable and smooth surface which is suitable for withstanding heavy loads and continuous traffic – commonly used for garage surfaces
- Is a great choice for bright interior areas as it creates a high-gloss surface
- Can help prevent chemical breakdowns
- Masks off chips and cracks when combined with paint
- Can be applied to cement and garage floors – it can also cover walls and ceilings in some cases
Some environments require specific levels of hygiene; including hospitals, food preparation facilities and veterinary clinics. A specific epoxy coating can be created to provide the antimicrobial/antibacterial protection while maintaining the common benefits of an attractive epoxy flooring.
If you have any questions or require help finding the best epoxy floor coating system for your specific needs, please feel free to contact us today.
Alternatively you can contact our experienced and qualified team of Epoxy Flooring applicators, at Sydney Epoxy Floors, for a free site inspection today.